The world according to Andy

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Deja vu

Sitting in the Chaplaincy office the other day, I experienced that thing that no doubt most of you have experienced, the phenomenon of deja vu. It just happened to be when the the Anglican Chaplain put on something that was just left lying around and said "It's like a disposable shirt." Yes, I know exactly what you're thinking, days in Chaplaincy when all the undergrads have gone home can be long and strange.

So I went and did some digging about "deja vu" described as the impression of having seen or experienced something before. It's a very common phenomenon but no one seems to know exactly why it happens. There have been several theories from simple wish fulfillment to a mismatch in the brain mistaking the past for the present to relating to an experience from a past life.

I find that these experiences often stick better in my mind than others, due to the fact that it's really weird. Don't know about you but I also often find that I can almost predict what's going to happen next in these sorts of situations. Any theories of your own? Discuss :-)

6 Comments:

  • You know what. You told me that story last week. And now I've read it I have a wierd sence of deja vu!!

    By Blogger Yellow, at 4:29 pm  

  • Blimey...

    By Blogger Andy, at 7:23 pm  

  • I can't get this thing to work...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:16 pm  

  • Oh that seemed to work. I can't seem to sign up as a blogger as "that ID is not available" for some reason.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:18 pm  

  • So was the shirt nice- I'm picturing a sweaty t-shirt (worn several times to save on student laundry costs), perhaps with the odd stain or two... I'm pretty appalled that Simon actually wore it?!!!

    Speaking of things left in the chaplaincy - I think I've left a white jug there.

    Sorry no comments on deja vu...

    By Blogger Me, at 6:13 pm  

  • It wasn't a t-shirt at all actually. It was this lab coat type of thing. The only jug I've seen around Chaplaincy had some packets of custard in it and has been sitting there for ages.

    By Blogger Andy, at 9:58 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home